Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 Interior DESIGN trend - BRASS metal

Here is my top 10 design trends for 2013 spread out over the next 10 days...

Trend #1  Geometric Patterns

Trend #2  Animal influences


Trend #3 - BRASS metal



Warm metals are making a comeback!  I have been seeing a trend towards brass metal for light fixtures, faucets, cabinet hardware, mirrors and accessories.  Interestingly enough I saw Sarah Richardson speak at the HomeShow last winter and she said brass could soon be the metal of choice.  I was surprised by the statement and had a hard time believing it myself until it occurred to me that I had recently noticed an increase in antique gold jewelry instead of the usual silver.  As per usual, interior design follows fashion, so within a month or so I started seeing brass faucets and light fixtures starting to grace the pages of all the major design magazines.

Traditional Staircase design by Charleston 
Interior Designer LORRAINE G VALE, 
Allied ASID
So if you fear the resurection of the shiny yellowish brass metals of the past, don't fret because the "new" brass is muted and slightly more sophisticated.  It's almost as though we put all our brass away and brought it out 30+ years later with a whole new patina.

Brass cabinet and plumbing fixtures





Brass accessories



No comments:

Post a Comment